Adulting at Its Finest: Guide for First-Time Job Seekers in Processing Government IDs in the Philippines

By: Mary Rose Arturo

No wonder the word “Adulting” comes into people’s minds during the transition from College to Fresh Grad (or sometimes even in an earlier stage). It is because a simple search on Google explains this Millennial term for becoming a responsible adult. However, being a responsible adult is an exciting but challenging role to take, much like owning a condo in Bacoor for the first time. Because Adulting is what we can say is a double-edged sword. You get to do what you want because you are an adult, but at the same time, you have a heavy responsibility on your shoulders because, again, YOU ARE THE ADULT NOW.

So how do we start with this Adulting stage?

First, you have got to grow up and accept that you are now entering Adulthood. Especially as you age and begin your journey to this complicated stage of your life, it is necessary that you have your identity.

And speaking of identity, this blog will guide you on how to process your Government IDs as a first-time job seeker from the different local government units. However, this blog would not be able to cover all the Government IDs, as some companies or employers may ask for more. But it will cover how to process all the basic clearances (Barangay, Police, NBI) and IDs (SSS/GSIS, PAGIBIG, PhilHealth, TIN). Processing this may really test your patience, time, effort, and even financial resources. It is a good thing there is now a First Time Jobseekers Assistance Act or Republic Act 11261, where people requesting IDs and clearances while actively seeking employment for the first time are now free from fees and charges.

Here Are Some of the Government IDs Needed for First-Time Job Applicants and How to Get Them

Barangay Clearance/Certificate

First, you should go to your Barangay Center, where you have been residing for at least six months. Tell the barangay staff or officials that you will be getting Barangay Certification, stating that you are a First Time Job Seeker. This document may be the fastest to be processed among all the remaining valid government-issued IDs on your list. 

Pro tip: Photocopy your Barangay Certificate and all your Valid IDs, as many as you can, and bring them with you when processing the other documentary requirements.

Police Clearance

Moving on to processing police clearance, there can be two approaches that you may pursue. The first one is to register online through the National Police Clearance System or just walk to the nearest police station in your area. Though both cases work, it is highly recommended that you register online as it can save you some time in queuing.

When you register online, you have to fill out the necessary forms. Next is to pick a date, time, and the most convenient police station for you in order to set your appointment. It is essential to state that you are a first-time job seeker in order for you to be exempted from the payment. Also, another critical thing to note is that you have to attend to your set appointment for you to be prioritized in the queue (if there is any). Lastly, do not forget your two valid IDs (which include a birth certificate, a driver’s license from the land transportation office, and more) when you go to your selected police station. Processing your police clearance may vary depending on the queue. Bring a lot of patience and snacks while you wait for it to be released.

NBI Clearance

Like the police clearance, you can register online through their official NBI website or simply walk into the nearest NBI in your area. Bring your two valid IDs and Barangay Certificate stating that you are a first-time job seeker in order to waive the fees. If you’ve registered online, you only need to go to your scheduled date and proceed to picture taking. However, if you are a walk-in, you have to queue first, fill out the form, pay the dues (tell them you’re a first-time job seeker), queue for the biometrics taking, and wait for your NBI Clearance. Again, your waiting time varies depending on various factors (queue, workforce, technical difficulties, etc.).

Now that we’ve done the Clearances, let’s move on to the government-mandated IDs and contributions.

Another Pro Tip: Make sure you bring a lot of 1×1 and 2×2 ID pictures of you, as this will be necessary.


Let’s start with PhilHealth. You can do the walk-in or have an appointment approach, but some branches strictly prohibit walk-ins, so it is better to do the latter. Once you are in the PhilHealth branch near you, approach the staff and ask for assistance. Tell them that you are a first-time member, and they will direct you to fill out the PhilHealth Member Registration Form (PMRF). If you have already filled out the form, just simply pass it to them along with your 1×1 ID picture. Hopefully, you can get your PhilHealth ID within minutes. Don’t forget to sign the back of your ID before laminating it.


Next to process is your PAGIBIG. Go to the PAGIBIG website, click be a member, then register. Fill out the Members Data Form (MDF). Once you’re done, submit it online and print a copy of your MDF. After two working days, you can request your PAG-IBIG MID number via SMS.


Globe and TM: (0917) 888-4363

Smart, TNT, and Sun: (0918) 898-4363

However, if you have a PAG-IBIG branch near your residence, you can just go there and personally request your MID number.

Social Security System/Government Service Insurance System

For the SSS, you can process it online and in person as well. Go to the SSS website, register, and fill out all the necessary information in your E-1/E-6 Form. Once you submit it, you will receive an email from SSS with a copy of your transaction slip, SS Number, and the accomplished copy of your E-1/E-6 Form. Don’t forget to submit a copy of 2 valid IDs on your coding day to the nearest SSS branch near you.

To follow their coding schedule, check the last digit of your SS number, which will dictate which day you can transact with SSS.

Monday = 1 & 2

Tuesday = 3 & 4

Wednesday = 5 & 6

Thursday = 7 & 8

Friday = 9 & 0

For example, if your SS number ends in 6, you are only prescribed to transact on Wednesday.

The SSS is needed for those seeking employment in private companies. For those seeking employment in government agencies, the GSIS is needed.

Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN)

Lastly, processing your TIN may be the most tricky part, as there are many types of taxpayers corresponding to different BIR Forms. However, this blog will only focus on the new employees working for a company in the country. You will have to complete the BIR 1902 Form. Usually, most companies or employers will be the ones to process your TIN. Your employer will send your Tax Identification Number once completed.

The start of your future

Now that we’ve covered all the basic government certificates, clearances, and IDs for your future employment, you must plan ahead, complete all the necessary requirements, look for branches near you, and schedule your appointments with these government agencies. Just a heads up, employers also ask for a medical/medical certificate before joining the company so make sure you have extra time and money for that. This is free if you take them in government hospitals however some employers use private clinics/hospitals for their medicals. Make sure you also have a copy of your academic records with you.

As we start this Adulting stage, it is also important that we are in an environment where everything is within our reach, from all those government agencies and even to our favorite restaurants and malls. Thus, it is good to live in the Meridian, anchored in the center, connecting lives.

This high-end condo in Bacoor offers one-bedroom and two-bedroom units, which is perfect for all those Adulting people out there. Get to live in your own home without sacrificing much. If you are interested in tripping, book your appointment here.

Read more: Top 7 In-Demand Jobs in the Philippines for 2022

Related Blog